America Essay Contest: Vietnam Vet: ‘I knew I was fighting for America against communism’ - VietBF

News Library Technology Giải Trí Portals Tin Sốt Home

HOME

NEWS 24h

ZONE 1

ZONE 2

Phim Bộ

Phim Lẻ

Ca Nhạc

Breaking

Go Back   VietBF > USA NEWS > USA News in English

Old  Default America Essay Contest: Vietnam Vet: ‘I knew I was fighting for America against communism’

U.S. General William Childs Westmoreland (1914–2005) sitting in a jeep during an inspection of the Mekong Delta base camp of the 9th Infantry Division near Long Thanh, Vietnam War, circa 1966. Sitting atop the jeep behind the general is Colonel James W. Phillips, commander of the 9th Infantry Division Artillery. (Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

By Bill Schmidt
December 9, 2020 Updated: December 9, 2020

I was raised in Texas in the 50’s and early 60’s with two brothers, both older, and two sisters, one older, one younger, by a sainted mother. Mom worked for 25 cents an hour at a well-off family cleaning and cooking. She walked uphill going and downhill to home at the A&M Trailer Park.

My father didn’t care much for his family so he was absent for years at a time. He was a welder so he made good money for the times but sent very little home. Like so many people, we scraped by, almost never missing a meal. Mom made sure of that. We were a very tight family that loved each other, our great country, and our God.

When I was a senior in high school, my brother joined the Marines knowing full well he was headed to Vietnam. We grew up watching John Wayne’s war movies along with all the rest on TV. I really believe that is where Jim and I became patriotic. Although they were just movies, it was what they represented that meant something to us. Men were living and dying for America in jungles, deserts and mountains. We knew World War II really happened and the movies made it that much more real. We played war at every opportunity.

Jim was only in Vietnam for four months when he was seriously wounded while moving forward across a rice paddy. Vietcong opened fire on his platoon with machine guns. Three bullets hit his M14 rifle he carried at port arms. He was hit in the left forearm. The heavy rifle saved his life by absorbing and deflecting two of the bullets. God was with Jim that day. His war days were over.

I had graduated and was working and supporting my mom when Jim arrived back in the States. Shortly thereafter, I received a letter from the War Department advising me that my name would be in the next lottery for the draft.

I decided to join the Navy instead of being a ground pounder in the Army. I think my decision was influenced by John Wayne’s movie, “They Were Expendable.” After a year of shore duty at NAAS Chase Field in Beeville, Texas, I volunteered for river-warfare in Vietnam.

I spent a year fighting in the large and small rivers in the Mekong Delta south of Saigon. I was wounded in the right arm but stayed to finish my tour of duty. I also had God with me. I came home to very hostile anti-military demonstrations. I knew I was fighting for America against communism and still do even more so with the events that are unfolding daily.

There are many things that my life, my family, and the armed forces instilled in me that focused and became sharper throughout my many years. In this country it was me, myself who was going to determine where and what I was going to do with my life. Others would influence me to degrees but the choice was mine.

No other country on earth offered the range of freedoms that America did that is guaranteed by the most thought-out document ever written. The Constitution is as viable today as it was when it was so diligently conceived and executed. The wisdom of none other than God Almighty was the influence of so many of our forefathers who constructed this miracle document known as the Bill of Rights and Constitution.

Discipline any life with its protected rights and privileges and, most of all, the living spirit that speaks with every word that is read, and you will have gratifying success, and a true connection to America that has remained strong, compassionate, and vigilant through hundreds of years.

It is my privilege to have been able to pass on my patriotism and love of country to my daughter, two grandchildren, and four great grandchildren along with many of their friends. I would be proud to defend America again. In a heartbeat. God Bless America.

Bill Schmidt lives with his wonderful wife of 52 years in Bakersfield, California, until they can finish moving to Idaho.

This essay was entered in the Epoch Times “Why I Love America” contest.

CaoLanh
R6 Đệ Nhất Cao Thủ
Release: 12-11-2020

Profile:
Last Update: None Rating: None
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WestmorelandVietnam-3226492-700x420.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1705420  
CaoLanh_is_offline
Thanked 8,413 Times in 2,633 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Rep Power: 18 CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10
CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaoLanh For This Useful Post:
hienthoi (12-11-2020), hoanglan22 (12-12-2020)
Old 12-11-2020   #2
CaoLanh
R6 Đệ Nhất Cao Thủ

Thanked 8,413 Times in 2,633 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10
CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10CaoLanh Reputation Uy Tín Level 10

CaoLanh_is_offline   Reply With Quote

User Tag List

Facebook Comments

iPad Tablet Menu

HOME

Breaking News

Society News

VietOversea

World News

Business News

Other News

History

Car News

Computer News

Game News

USA News

Mobile News

Music News

Movies News

Sport News

ZONE 1

ZONE 2

Phim Bộ

Phim Lẻ

Ca Nhạc

Thơ Ca

Help Me

Sport Live

Stranger Stories

Comedy Stories

Cooking Chat

Nice Pictures

Fashion

School

Travelling

Funny Videos

NEWS 24h

HOT 3 Days

NEWS 3 Days

HOT 7 Days

NEWS 7 Days

HOT 30 Days

NEWS 30 Days

Member News

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 24h Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 3 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 7 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 14 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 30 Ngày Qua
Diễn Đàn Người Việt Hải Ngoại. Tự do ngôn luận, an toàn và uy tín. V́ một tương lai tươi đẹp cho các thế hệ Việt Nam hăy ghé thăm chúng tôi, hăy tâm sự với chúng tôi mỗi ngày, mỗi giờ và mỗi giây phút có thể. VietBF.Com Xin cám ơn các bạn, chúc tất cả các bạn vui vẻ và gặp nhiều may mắn.
Welcome to Vietnamese American Community, Vietnamese European, Canadian, Australian Forum, Vietnamese Overseas Forum. Freedom of speech, safety and prestige. For a beautiful future for Vietnamese generations, please visit us, talk to us every day, every hour and every moment possible. VietBF.Com Thank you all and good luck.