VietBF

VietBF (https://www.vietbf.com/forum/index.php)
-   School | Kiến thức 2006-2019 (https://www.vietbf.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Healthcare stories (https://www.vietbf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1283926)

florida80 10-28-2019 18:42

Diagnoses That Leave You Breathless

Canada, Medical Office, Ontario, Toronto | Healthy | December 15, 2017

(I was just recently diagnosed with pretty severe asthma. This winter, I start feeling odd in my chest whenever I breathe, and it’s causing me great anxiety, so I go to my GP.)

Me: “Whenever I breathe my chest feels odd, and it’s difficult to get deep breaths.”

Doctor: “So, don’t breathe; problem solved.”

Me: *awkward laugh* “Yeah, I guess so, but I was hoping for a more permanent solution.”

Doctor: “Take your inhaler.”

Me: “Yes, I am, but it doesn’t help.”

Doctor: “So, don’t breathe.”

(I ended up walking out and going to the ER. It wasn’t life-threatening and they just told me to take something over-the-counter medicine for a month, and to avoid going outside in extremely cold weather.)

florida80 10-28-2019 18:43

Cause For Pregnant Pause, Part 17

Hospital, USA, Washington | Healthy | December 15, 2017

(My sister goes to the hospital due to her appendix rupturing. Because of the amount of pain she is in, I answer all the questions for her, fill out forms, etc. While she is in the ER, nurses continue to ask if she is pregnant. The first couple times are different nurses that I assume aren’t talking to each other, but it gets annoying. This all happens before they confirm it’s her appendix.)

Nurse #1 : “Is there a chance you’re pregnant?”

Me: “No, there’s no chance.”

Nurse # 2: *later, crouching in front of my sister, who’s writhing in pain* “Are you pregnant, sweetie?”

Me: “No, there’s absolutely no chance.”

Nurse #2 : *glares at me and leaves*

Nurse #3 : *later, as the painkillers are starting to kick in, causing my sister to slur her speech slightly and not be quite present* “Is there any chance you’re pregnant?”

Me: *frustrated* “There is no chance she’s pregnant!”

Nurse #3 : “Let her answer for herself!”

Me: *points at the insurance cards I’d pulled out of her wallet and laid on the counter* “If you idiots had taken half a second to look at these, you’d see she doesn’t have a uterus!”

(My sister was in an accident when she was a kid and had to have her uterus removed, and carries a card with that information on it, because the pregnancy question always comes up. The nurse left quickly and we soon had yet another nurse, who didn’t ask the pregnancy question. I apologize to the nurse at the desk later for yelling, but she waved me off and said it was a quick way to learn a lesson.)

florida80 10-28-2019 18:43

Cause For Pregnant Pause, Part 16

Extra Stupid, Health & Body, Medical Office, USA, Washington | Right | November 2, 2017

(I’m having a pregnancy test done at a local clinic. After I get a positive result, they go over some things with me. The nurse is asking me basic questions about daily habits and my lifestyle.)

Nurse: “All right, do you smoke?”

Me: “Nope.”

Nurse: “Drink alcohol?”

Me: “Not at all.”

Nurse: “Do you plan on starting?”

Me: “Not anytime soon.”

Nurse: “Oh, thank God! I don’t have to try to talk sense into you.”

Me: “Do people really think they can smoke and drink during pregnancy?”

Nurse: “More than you’d think.”

florida80 10-28-2019 18:44

Cause For Pregnant Pause, Part 15

home improvement | Right | August 2, 2017

(I am pregnant, quite close to my due date, and obviously showing it even through my boxy work uniform. This occurs during a (so far) normal transaction as I am returning an item for a customer approximately in his fifties.)

Customer: “So, you’re pregnant?”

Me: *smiling* “Yup!”

Customer: “How’d that happen?”

Me: “Uh… well… um…”

Customer: *cheerfully* “You’d be surprised, the different answers I get with that one.”

Me: *speechless*

florida80 10-28-2019 18:45

Cause For Pregnant Pause, Part 14

Retail | Right | September 21, 2016

(I manage a retail store that does engravings. When customers want something done we go to a little counter, stand opposite the customer, and explain pricing. I am due to have my daughter any day when this happens. I’m tall and have always been really skinny.)

Nice Young Couple: “We want to get [Item] with [Name] on it.”

Me: “Oh, that’s such a cute name!”

(I explain the pricing. All is going well.)

Woman: “I’m six months along and feel like a whale! How far are you?”

Me: “I’m nine months. Actually, the doctor said I should have popped a week ago. When I’m done working, I walk the Mall of America like a crazy person because a manager over there swears it helps induce labor!”

Woman: “You’re nine months!? Why are you so small?!”

Me: “I don’t know. I’m just naturally skinny but the doctor predicted that she would at least be seven pounds or more.”

Woman: *suddenly incredibly angry* “I’m only six months and bigger than you! That’s not fair!”

(At that point the woman went savage and actually tried to climb over the counter to hit me. Her boyfriend grabbed her and dragged her out of the store kicking and screaming “It’s not fair!” while giving me a look that said “I’m so sorry!” Two days later I got my doctor to give me a note saying I couldn’t work anymore while pregnant because of blood pressure issues. I had my baby a week later and quit when my maternity leave was up. I have never, and will never, go back to retail. I have a lot of respect for people that stick it out. You don’t get paid enough.)

florida80 10-28-2019 19:34

8 Vị Trí "Càng Xấu Càng Khỏe"

* Được cái này thường mất cái kia. Cơ thể con người cũng vậy, có những vị trí càng xấu càng khỏe mạnh.

1. Mông to tốt cho tim, não

Các nghiên cứu cho biết, người có mông to sẽ có mức cholesterol “xấu” thấp hơn, cholesterol “tốt” cao hơn, vì vậy tỷ lệ xơ cứng mạch máu của tim và não khá nhỏ. Đại học Oxford Anh nghiên cứu còn phát hiện, người mông to có tỷ lệ mắc bệnh tiểu đường cũng thấp hơn.

2. Mọc nhiều nốt ruồi làm chậm lão hóa

Nốt ruồi mọc nhiều trên cơ thể không chỉ khó coi, có nguy cơ ung thư da tăng gấp 10 lần. Mặt khác, các nhà khoa học Học viện King, Đại học London trong một nghiên cứu mới nhất cho biết, so với người không có nốt ruồi, người có nhiều nốt ruồi thường trẻ hơn 6 – 7 tuổi so với tuổi thực tế, tỷ lệ mắc các bệnh tuổi già như bệnh tim và bệnh loãng xương là tương đối thấp.

3. Núi đôi nhỏ thì cột sống càng thẳng

Các nhà nghiên cứu Thổ Nhĩ Kỳ phát hiện, những người có núi đôi càng lớn, càng dễ bị đau lưng và cong cột sống, người có nhũ hoa nhỏ thì không như vậy. Về góc độ giới tính, độ nhạy cảm với vuốt ve của núi đôi nhỏ mạnh hơn so với núi đôi lớn.

4. Mũi to ít bị cảm lạnh

Đại học Iowa, Mỹ nghiên cứu cho biết, mũi càng lớn, tỷ lệ hít phải các chất ô nhiễm (như bụi) ngược lại càng giảm, khả năng đề kháng các vi khuẩn có hại càng lớn. Vì vậy, người có mũi to rất ít bị cảm lạnh hay cảm cúm.

5. Đùi to thì tim khỏe

Một nghiên cứu của Đan Mạch dài tới 12 năm, liên quan đến 3.000 đàn ông cho thấy, người có vòng đùi 60 cm trở lên, bắp chân khỏe mạnh thì nguy cơ chết sớm và mắc bệnh tim càng giảm.

6. Ngón chân ngắn chạy nhanh hơn

Một nghiên cứu mới nhất của Anh cho biết, trong quá trình tiến hóa của loài người, ngón chân ngắn đi là để chạy nhanh hơn. Ngón chân dài liên quan đến cơ xương nhiều hơn, vì vậy chạy sẽ mất sức, hiệu quả “giảm xóc” cũng thấp.

7. Tai to dù về già vẫn thính

Chuyên gia y học, tiến sĩ Ralph Holm cho biết, tai ngoài càng to, ống tai thu được âm thanh càng rõ, vì vậy người có tai to rất ít bị mất thính giác do già yếu.

8. Bàn chân bẹt thì chân ít bị tổn thương

Một nghiên cứu mới nhất của Mỹ phát hiện, người có bàn chân bẹt thì chân và các bộ phận của chúng ít bị tổn thương, nguy cơ bị tổn thương của những người có cung chân cao sẽ cao gấp 6 lần người có bàn chân bẹt.

Đức Trọng (Theo Health)

florida80 10-29-2019 20:29

Honesty Is Always The Best Medicine

England, Pharmacy, UK | Healthy | December 14, 2017

(I am waiting patiently for a prescription to be filled in a quiet pharmacy.)

Pharmacist: “Found it; here you go!”

Me: *takes bagged item* “Thanks.”

Pharmacist: “No problem, bye!”

Me: “Uhh… I still need to pay for this.”

Pharmacist: “Oh! I’m so sorry. Thank you for your honesty.” *rings up the transaction*

Me: “Well, not that I would anyway, but it would be kind of stupid for me to run off, seeing as you know exactly who I am and where I live.” *gestures to my address printed on the bag*

Pharmacist: “You wouldn’t believe what some people try.”

florida80 10-29-2019 20:29

Some Real Blocks To Common Sense

Clinic, Parents/Guardians, USA | Healthy | December 14, 2017

(A mother comes into our blood-draw station with her non-verbal, autistic adult son. He is at least 350 pounds, and probably about 6′. I am 5’1” and about 120 pounds, mostly lower body and core muscle as I’m a competitive Irish dancer. The mother proceeds to explain to me his special needs and his abilities and limitations.)

Me: “Okay. Is he likely to try and hit me?” *the mother gives me an odd look* “I’ll still draw him if he is, it’s just easier for me to block if I’m expecting it.”

Mother: *incredulous* “You’re going to block him hitting you?!”

Me: *looking at her son* “Yes. If he tries to hit me, I will block the hit.”

Mother: “You can’t hurt my son.”

Me: “Don’t worry. I’m trained to block physical attacks without harming the attacker; it’s a training that many healthcare workers have.”

Mother: “I don’t want you to block it.”

Me: “Let me get this straight. Look at me. Look at him. I am a 5’1” woman. You want me to just let him hit me?”

Mother: “Yes.”

(Luckily, he didn’t try to hit me.)

florida80 10-29-2019 20:30

1 Thumbs

Share on Facebook

Share on Reddit

A Breath Of Death Air

Clinic, Houston, Texas, USA | Healthy | December 14, 2017

(I recently got home from an overseas trip. On the flight back I caught a fever and started having stomach issues. A few days later, I had to switch out with my father when driving because I didn’t feel like I could both drive and focus on breathing. I’ve always had asthma, but usually only have had issues when exercising and breathing very cold air. However, this is the second event in around a month where I couldn’t identify a trigger and the breathing problems lasted for a long time. The first time I went to the emergency room, was told it was a panic attack, and was sent home. When things didn’t clear up, I went to the school clinic where they said it was my asthma — not a spasm like I was used to, but inflammation — and gave me medication. Things cleared up. Because it is only a little after New Year’s, my mom doesn’t think our GP can fit us in quickly enough, so we head to an emergency clinic. Our new insurance only allows us to go to one chain in the area, and it’s 30 minutes away. There isn’t a doctor available, so we confirm we are fine with seeing the head nurse. I’m used to journalling some aspects of my health due to things like adult onset allergies, and have written specifics of the start and stop of the symptoms in a notebook, along with details from the other attack. Sometimes I also have difficulty speaking because of my focusing on my breathing.)

Mom: “She’s been having trouble breathing. We were here a couple days ago because she had a stomach bug.”

Nurse: “Can you describe when this started?”

Me: “Um, I noticed I had to focus to breathe. I was really aware of my breathing. It started last night, I guess? Um— I wrote it down, if it’s easier.”

(I hand her the notebook. She looks through it, but she looks skeptical.)

Nurse: “Okay, I know what’s going on here. Honey, you’re having a panic attack.”

Me: “I don’t think it’s a panic attack! It happened before around a month ago. I have asthma—”

Nurse: “The emergency guys thought that was a panic attack, too. Listen, I know you don’t want to hear this, but this is in your brain.”

(This sets me off for multiple reasons, one of which being that I DO have anxiety, but it is controlled and not the kind that results in panic attacks. Another being that I’ve been misdiagnosed with “stress pains” by my father’s urologist, who was checking for kidney stones, when we later found out I had some muscle issues in that area that were easily taken care of with physical therapy. I should also note my mother has been making some comments, but I can’t exactly remember them. She’s mostly worried.)

Me: “But the other doctor said it was asthma! I’ve had people dismiss things like this before! But when it was checked out by someone else they found something! I have anxiety, but I get those! I don’t have this problem!”

Nurse: “So you just keep going to doctors till they say what you want to hear. But I’m telling you, this is a panic attack. You said in your notes that talking is difficult, but you’re talking fine now. You seem fine. You just need to accept this. Maybe call your therapist or psychiatrist.”

(She ended the appointment. I was pretty hysterical once we returned home. I have been well functioning for years and even though I didn’t believe the nurse, she put the idea in my head that I was as well off as I thought. I should also note my mom is of the generation that often writes things off as stress, and seemed to be taking the nurse’s side, or at least playing devil’s advocate, adding to my stress. I blubbered to my mom and eventually my psychiatrist’s hotline. [Psychiatrist] quickly wrote a prescription for anxiety, but was very firm in telling me most of her patients didn’t end up using it and that often having it in their possession helped. She also said that if I felt I needed it to only take half and assess how I felt. Honestly, I didn’t feel any different. Later, my mom apologized that she helped upset me and called our GP. )

Mom: “[Doctor] made an opening for you tomorrow. Guess what she said, though, when I told her everything that happened?”

Me: “…what?”

Mom: “In her experience asthmatics usually have panic attacks because they can’t f****** breathe.”

(My GP gave me a steroid inhaler and I started breathing better in a few days. I later went to my asthma and allergy doctor and found out I have a new severe allergy to dust mites, something that aggravates asthma. F*** you, nurse.)

florida80 10-29-2019 20:30

Allergic To Listening

Medical Office, New York, USA | Healthy | December 13, 2017

(I have been getting flu like symptoms for a week or so every month for about a year and finally made myself an appointment to see the doctor. I had to switch primary care physicians for insurance reasons. This is my first appointment with a new doctor. When I go to see him, I also happen to have some mild allergy symptoms including a stuffy nose, which I am used to.)

Doctor: “So, what can we do for you today?”

Me: “Well, for the past year or so I have been getting flu like symptoms about a week out of each month.” *my voice is sort of muffled and you can tell I have a stuffy nose*

Doctor: “Seems like you have a cold there.”

Me: “No, it’s just allergies. I’m always like this this time of year.”

Doctor: “There’s really not much I can do for a cold. I can prescribe you some antihistamines.”

Me: “I’m fine, thanks. I already take them, and this is just normal allergies.”

Doctor: “You know, with your asthma, allergies can worsen your breathing.”

Me: “Yeah, I know, that’s why I am on three medications for it. Anyway, for like a week each month I get a mild fever and body aches, sometimes headaches. This has been going on for a year.”

Doctor: “I am going prescribe you a Z-Pak just in case, so your cold doesn’t get worse.”

(Writes out a prescription.)

Me: “No, that’s okay. Like I said, this is allergies, I am not here for that.”

Doctor: “Here you go.” *hands me prescription* “Come back in a week if you’re not better.” *leaves the room*

(Needless to say I left angry and never went back to that practice. Oh, and it turned out I had Lyme disease.)